1.14.2005

the guy at the gym

... so i was at the gym last night for physio again and this guy that has been asking my gym buddies about me ("who's that cute asian girl in the big boys gym?", "is she single?") came waltzing in. i thought "oh no.." as he sauntered by and casually waved to me. i gave a small smile and proceeded to overly concentrate on my set.

the last time i saw him (2 days ago), he kept hanging around every machine and area i went to, and i guess find a reason to strike up a conversation. i'm sure he's a nice person and all but it started getting annoying, especially since i'm really serious when it comes to my workout. its go-go-go for me -- don't really like to rest inbetween sets...

my gym buddies never really answer his questions with a straight answer. one of them told him that they thought i was seeing this asian dude -- tall, athletic, a lawyer, but i don't think it scared him off.

so anyways, i was hoping T would just do his workout and leave me alone, but of course, he didn't. i was working on my abs with the ball and he comes up to me...

T: hi again.
me: hi.
T: you have a crazy ass workout!
me: [smile]
T: so uh, could you help me out? i'm working on my abs too...
me: (oh what a coincidence :b )
T: ... and i was wondering if you could help me out on them. i saw you do them on the back extension machine.
me: um... what seems to be the problem?
T: well, my side hurts when i do them.


and here i am thinking, uh, they're *supposed* to hurt -- you're working on them aren't you?

me: maybe its your form. you have to make sure you're isolating that area and make sure your feet are planted correctly.
T: oh! no wonder -- cause you look like you know what you're doing...
me: [continuing with my ab exercises]
T: so uh, can you show me?


so i haphazardly show him using the ball instead and he went to try it. so i thought i was rid of him, but he came over 5 minutes later, introduced himself, and started asking me about every exercise i do. so, it was really starting to annoy me! I finally told him that I had to keep going and couldn't chat cause i wasn't allowed to let my heart rate slow down -- which is true -- so he went off and did his own thing.

when i was clearly done, he sauntered over again ...

T: so you're done too eh? hey wanna go for a quick bite to eat?
me: uh.. actually i'm not leaving yet. going to talk to Wil for a bit first.
T: oh ok. well, i'm going to head off. my job is SO busy so i have to go home and get some rest.
me: right. seeya.


man, i don't want to have to hide from this guy everytime i'm at the gym!

6 Comments:

At 7:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And you tell me there are no guys hitting on you? A-HA, I say. There are guys out there. Perhaps you have to look around a bit more ms. chibi maruko! :)

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger Ben said...

Aw, there was this little gym puppy dog following Cin around, hoping for scraps of something to taste. And then she kicked him away. With a steel-toed boot.

And are you sure he said you have a "crazy ASS workout"?? First of all, that's probably not a good pick-up opener, and second of all, if you do, can you share that with us, please?

Speaking of which, what gym to head to? I think I'd like to start working out (hard) again with Mike, maybe, but I need to find a decent place with a good drop-in fee. I'm an Internationa Health Club whateverwhatever member, by virtue of my membership in California, if that helps any (for a low- or free drop-in fee).

 
At 1:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i was using the bench press once when this guy comes by the foot of the bench to ask me some random question. i thought he'd leave when i answered and lay back down to do another set, but he just stood there until i finished my set, and started talking to me again. same thing after another set. so i got up and started using some machine as far away as i could. - jason

 
At 8:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm so glad I finally found your website. Thanks for helping me out at the gym the other day, I think my form is better. Would you mind spotting me on the chin-up bar? I just need someone to put their hands on my hips and help me up. I'm trying to break the 5 chin-up plateau.

Great, let me know when you'll be in the gym next, and I'll meet you there.

- T

 
At 8:53 PM, Blogger Kevin said...

Oh wait, that last one was me. ;)

You know, the next time he asks for advice, you should tell him "Yeah, I don't think I'm qualified to help you with your workout. I just do my own thing. Those guys (the people who work there) are professionals and they should be able to help you work on your form."

And then you should tell him that when you do exercises around him, your sides hurt too... because of the thorn.

 
At 1:50 PM, Blogger Cindy said...

hey benster, you can try out my gym if you want for a low drop-in fee of $0. however its in BBY. i think mparka goes to the one in north van? let me know if you're interested.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home