6.06.2008

"Have you ever been in love?"

It's a Saturday afternoon and I just spent a couple of hours trying to figure out how I can play the SATC complete series on my mac. To my dismay it seems that I absolutely can't without changing the region code blah blah blah. So I found a work-a-round which involves a PC (ick), a friend's advice, and an external HD and now I'm comfortably watching the first season...

And if you've ever watched SATC, you'll know where the title of this blog came from.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a major SATC freak... in fact I probably missed 90% of the SATC episodes. Not having a TV pretty much took me out of those giggly conversations at school. It ran for a total of 6 years and I hardly had a chance to watch it...

But now that SATC the movie is out, and I have access to the complete series, I thought it's time to get caught up :P

So that brings me to the real reason I'm blogging after what... 9 months :P and SATC got me thinking about this one question... have I ever been in love?

I think I have... once a long long LONG time ago. But now looking back, it wasn't love at first sight like you hear in fairy tales. I actually didn't think much of him at first and I guess you could say he grew on me and I think his love for me ran me right over -- like a mini-bus on the streets of HK.

The relationship didn't turn out great. In fact it went the opposite direction and at the end of the roller coaster ride, when the tornado passed and the black rain warning was lifted, I found myself empty as a shell wearing my favourite BCBG shoes :P

I got back on my feet and thought to myself.. that can't be real true love. So if that wasn't love, then what was it? Maybe I wanted to believe it was something when it really wasn't.

Well, it felt like love but now that I know it wasn't, will I know what love is when (or if) cupid throws it at me? And if he has already, did I just let it pass me by? Where is he anyways?

2 Comments:

At 1:16 PM, Blogger Batsy said...

Those of us that love you only want the best for you and will love you for whom you are. Just know that there are some of us that do love you.

Love isn't always this Hollywood crap that we've been fed for decades. The good guy doesn't always win. Sometimes its the good guy that gets screwed. Its just life. Love isn't always easy and it takes alot of work to maintain. Its not all about flowers and fancy dinners but being there and supporting and encouraging them when they're down, making them a hot bowl of soup when they're sick - that sort of thing. It’s not only the embracing of what’s good in them but the acceptance of their faults (as we all have them) and the gentle push of your own strengths in helping the other to be better than they were to day. When you truly love someone and if it hurts them, it hurts you in some way too.

Beyond that, I have no wisdom to offer save that you cannot make someone love you. You can hope to love someone and hope that they will return it in kind.

However, there are sources of wisdom that are greater than you or I :P

Corinthians 13
Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. Love does not demand its own way. Love is not irritable, and it keeps no record of when it has been wronged. It is never glad about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.

Sound like anyone you might know? :P

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger Batsy said...

Here's the full text of Corinthians 13 if anyone's interested :P

If I could speak in any language in heaven or on earth but didn't love others, I would only be making meaningless noise like a loud gong or a clanging cymbal. If I had the gift of prophecy, and if I knew all the mysteries of the future and knew everything about everything, but didn't love others, what good would I be? And if I had the gift of faith so that I could speak to a mountain and make it move, without love I would be no good to anybody. If I gave everything I have to the poor and even sacrificed my body, I could boast about it; but if I didn't love others, I would be of no value whatsoever.

Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. Love does not demand its own way. Love is not irritable, and it keeps no record of when it has been wronged. It is never glad about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.

Love will last forever, but prophecy and speaking in unknown languages and special knowledge will all disappear. Now we know only a little, and even the gift of prophecy reveals little! But when the end comes, these special gifts will all disappear. It's like this: When I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child does. But when I grew up, I put away childish things.

Now we see things imperfectly as in a poor mirror, but then we will see everything with perfect clarity. All that I know now is partial and incomplete, but then I will know everything completely, just as God knows me now. There are three things that will endure--faith, hope, and love--and the greatest of these is love.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home